I May Go Shopping This Black Friday

file000832700975

I’m not one for all of the hype and I’m not crazy about people having to work on Thanksgiving but I could really use a crock pot, especially since we don’t have an oven. It would make life much easier.

I looked for one over the summer at yard sales and thrift shops without any luck. The ones on sale were in bad condition, overpriced or both.

Wal-Mart is offering a 6 quart crock pot late on Thanksgiving day for $9.44; that is a really good deal for a new crock pot. I am seriously considering trying to purchase one. You don’t have to stay up late (the sale starts at 8pm on Thanksgiving), so hopefully I could get in and out fairly quickly.

Then I would be able to fix a good stew or slow-cook a pot of chili. They’re just not the same when rushed in a microwave.

Are you planning to go out on Black Friday? Do you have an agenda in mind or do you just shop? Please share your stories in the comments below.

1. Laurie wrote:

I have at least two crock pots, one came with a little sauce maker pot thingy. I know I paid more than $10 for it, I never shop black Friday maybe I should. Of course I may just start hunting in second hand shops for uniforms since I don’t have enough patience to watch clearance racks.

Monday, November 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I haven’t even found a used one around here for $10 Laurie and I’ve looked all summer in both yard sales and thrift shops. Well, I did find one priced at $10 but it was one of those tiny ones designed to heat dips and gravies. I am really not thrilled about shopping on Black Friday for ethical and safety reasons (I’ve no desire to be trampled) but I could really use a crock pot.

Monday, November 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Permalink
  3. Anne wrote:

I stay as far away from the stores as possible on Black Friday. It’s too bad you haven’t been able to find a decent used crockpot. This garage sale season seems to be the year of the crockpot around here. I’ve purchased a couple this year.

Monday, November 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink
  4. No way! If I had to get one I would get one from a thrift store , or better yet, just heat up the food and put in an super insulated cooker, or thermos, takes a little experimentation ,but works peachy keen.

Monday, November 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

The issue is cooking the food to begin with Bio filo. I’ve scouted the thrift stores for almost a year in this area– the used ones cost as much as new. I need something economical to cook stews in that will make it easier and cheaper than the hot plate, and this is a really good deal.

Monday, November 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink
  6. Erin wrote:

I am on my fourth crock pot. Soup is fast, easy and frugal. I recommend you get one that changes from cook to hold temperature if you can because you never know if you are going to be delayed. You might want to put the word out that you are looking for one because there are lots of people who buy them and never use them. They might be willing to part with an almost unused one for a few dollars.

Monday, November 19, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Permalink
  7. Kathy wrote:

I may have to go shopping on Friday, just because I need a few groceries and such and haven’t been able to get away to the store yet this week. Good luck on getting your crock pot!! I’m excited it’s crock pot season so I can use mine more.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

One Trackback/Pingback

1. Why I will not shop this Black Friday | Annienygma on Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 1:13 pm

[…] I really needed something (like the crock pot the other year) and I knew that I could score a good deal I would probably wander out but this year I don’t […]