Evaluating My Priorities

Periodically I like to evaluate where I am in life and where I am going. This helps me to keep on track both mentally and physically.

Who am I? What am I doing? Where am I going with things? All of these questions help to keep me focused and to point out when I’ve drifted off course.

This time I realized that while my priorities had not changed, my focus had shifted somewhat.

I have one main goal in my life and that is to provide the best, most stable home environment for my daughter that I am able until she turns 18 and moves on with her life.

After that I have no real goals so my secondary goal is to keep things as open-ended as possible beyond those five years.

What does this mean for my life? Since I may want to travel after Katie is gone do I really want to tie myself down with a home, especially one in an area that I have no real intention of staying long-term?

Since I will probably be relocating after Katie is grown at the least (and maybe sooner if the right space opens up), do I really want to invest in any permanent changes in this home, knowing that I won’t be able to take them with me?

Even more important: Do I really want to invest in anything overly large, knowing that I will have to deal with the hassle of moving (or eliminating) it at some later date?

These questions may seem silly but for me they are very serious. For instance, I have been looking around for a daybed almost since the first day I moved in here. However, do I really need one when what I already have works, especially since I don’t know where I’m going to end up – or if I’ll have room for it in some future home? Do I want to spend money on something I may have to eliminate in just a few short years when my current solution works perfectly well? Would it not be better to save that money (and time spent looking for the perfect one) and apply it to something that I will definitely be able to use beyond that five-year window? This would mean I could spend more time writing a book and have more money to put toward something else, like a laptop for my writing.

Do I really need to bother with fencing in this whole yard when I could just repair the fence that is already here? Do I really need to spend the money and the time on something that will belong to the landlord as soon as I build it?

These are just a few of the questions I’ve been asking myself. They’ve helped me to understand that my current list of desires is not in line with my priorities and are now helping me re-evaluate the things that I really need to acquire and do.

What are your goals and priorities in life? Do the things you are buying and the stuff you are doing line up with your ideals? Please share your stories in the comments below.

1. Laurie wrote:

I’m focusing on my next book. The first two are available in PDF, Ebook and paperback from Redmundpro.com. (couldn’t resist the plug, sorry :) ) anyway I’m cleaning up and cleaning things out to focus on meeting some goals. By the time the baby turns 18, I’ll be almost finished.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink
  2. bio filo wrote:

Get Your dough rolling, in from the computer, and get a passport and move somewhere safe, out of the country! Less taxes, make more friends, learn ,grow, explore, have fun costs less also.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Plug away Laurie! I’m so proud of you! I love when I hear of your accomplishments!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Bio, that’s actually one of my options. I hope to at least visit places like that to see if they would be a good fit – I think it would be a fun adventure to live where the sun is hot, the beer is cold and the living is dirt cheap. :)

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink
  5. Kelly wrote:

Very good questions. They sound similar to the ones I ask myself from time to time.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
  6. Linda Sand wrote:

I want to be able to be self sufficient without a lot of expense in my old age. So, now while I can afford it, I bought an RV with a good solar system and huge holding tanks for the size vehicle it is. That way I can go live on public land for free if I need to do that. I’m practicing those skills now and becoming more confident in my ability to do this.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink
  7. Bj wrote:

Hello Annie, very good questions. I have been thinking along such lines lately, although had not broken it down quite so succinctly as you have with your specific questions to consider. I will have to ponder those myself some.

BTW, regarding the fence. . . since I have four dogs, I have to have a good sturdy fence. Its not an options. In my last house, which was a rental, I put up field fencing myself. Pounded the stakes and attached. When I moved in October, I took it down and brought it with me! Turned out that I didn’t need it in new place for dogs as I have the acres fenced with chain link but I am using it for some animals pens. So just saying that if you get some kinds of fence, you can always take it with you or even take it down and sell to someone else who might need it.

As for purchasing a home, I felt it was best for me because the mortgage payment I have is so much lower than it would have been to rent something comparable. If I decide to move later, I can sell (already for quite a profit after just six months!) or I can opt to rent it. The SECOND reason I felt it best is that my two daughters live close to here and one is planning to start family soon. I knew if I moved to far away, it would a hardship to keep connected with them. . . I am looking forward to being a grandma one day soon!

Best to you and thanks for the succinct questions to ponder.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink
  8. Sunny wrote:

I am a bit like in your situation Annie!

I had moved in my one and a half apartment since almost one year now. I don’t have a good computer desk or a nice chair to sit on, a coach or anything like that. Just a few normal kitchen chairs that came with the place I am currently renting.

I could easily afford such thing (couch or chair) but in my mind, the city I am in right now is not where I would like to spend many years of my life, so in result, I am not purchasing any nice chair and my interior is quite, not really any decoration what so ever.

Furniture can be expensive so better keep your cash in saving mode. I think its the best thing.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Permalink
  9. Kathy wrote:

Very good questions. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I have very similar questions, but due to our current occupation, we will always be tied to some place with maintenance and space enough for large animals. I would like to replace some furniture though: mattresses and the couch.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink
  10. Melissa wrote:

We are downsizing! Our offer was accepted on a mobile home on 2 acres and we are moving to the country! Woop!

Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink