How to Survive The Death of XP

It is being widely trumpeted in tech circles that soon Windows XP will no longer be updated by Microsoft. As a result, computers running the Windows XP operating system will be vulnerable to the bad guys who love to break into your system and wreak havoc on your lives.

Unfortunately, many people still own computers running Windows XP.

Including me.

These systems may not have the resources to run a more modern version of Windows but we may not be willing or able to buy another computer right now. We may not want to upgrade the ones that can handle it either because new copies of Windows are not cheap.

We still have options available to us, however. Ubuntu is an extremely popular and user-friendly version of Linux that has been around for almost a decade1. Users are able to install Ubuntu for free on as many computers as they like.

Ubuntu comes complete with an office suite, communication, music, photo and other applications so that users can take care of business (and have fun as well). If the base install doesn’t provide what you need, there is the Ubuntu Software Center where you can choose from thousands of applications (most of which are free).

Other than Google’s Chrome, I have yet to find another Linux distribution as friendly to both newbies and experienced users alike. The Ubuntu Unity interface is reminiscent of the Apple operating system I loved so well. Like the Mac, there aren’t many viruses that can harm it either so in some ways it may be safer than the more popular alternative.

Since Windows XP will no longer be updated I installed the latest version of Ubuntu (12.04) on my old Toshiba laptop. I see no benefit in operating an obsolete, unsafe operating system when I can use a modern, safe one for free.

Toshi

To my delight, Ubuntu seems to handle multitasking much easier than Windows on my older hardware and I have been using Ubuntu exclusively ever since.

If you have an older computer that you want to keep using you may want to give Ubuntu Linux a try. Installing Ubuntu will allow you to avoid the purchase of a new computer until your old one actually dies and may also allow you to revive systems suffering from a broken Windows operating system.

If you want I can post a step by step tutorial about installing Ubuntu. Let me know in the comments if you are interested.

1. Ubuntu first came out in October 2004 with version 4.10, nicknamed Warty Warthog.

1. biofilo wrote:

I could use a REAL step by step like I was about ummm, five years old or so, if You work one up kindle it I will buy it pal,let Me know!

Friday, August 23, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink
  2. Rhonda Borelli wrote:

Annie,

I would love a step-by-step tutorial. And, like BIOFILO has said, kindle it, and I shall buy it! Great idea!

Thank you, Annie. You are always the BEST!!

Friday, August 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink
  3. Jane wrote:

I don’t have a debit or credit card, so unable to buy anything online. But I would love to know how to install. If I go to ubanto, will there be enough directions for me to get it???

Friday, August 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink
  4. J.A.Gort wrote:

Like comment 1 and 2 Yes please. And I will buy it.

Friday, August 23, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink
  5. Please do. And remember to use the small words so I don’t get confused. :D

Friday, August 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Your wish is my command. Anything specific (other than install instructions) you would like me to include? I will add some basic tips and stuff as well…

Jane, if you want a copy when it is released, contact me and we will see what we can work out!

Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink
  7. J.A.Gort wrote:

I would like that you include install en remove of software. And other basic steps you can think of.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink
  8. Hi Annie and great idea. I have considered installing Linux before but have never made the leap. One thing would be cool is if you added a way to effortlessly connect to the Internet using Ubuntu. The one thing I liked about XP and Win7 is that it’s very easy to get on the net through one’s provider. What ya think?

Take care and I hope all is well. My best to all.

Lyle

Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Ubuntu is quite easy to connect to the Internet Lyle. There is an icon on the top right of the screen you connect to connect to wifi on laptops or to enable/disable networking. Provided your wifi card is supported (which it should be on older laptops) going online is a breeze.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 10:00 pm | Permalink
  10. Thanks Annie…However I do not have wifi and the laptop I would install Ubuntu on doesn’t have a wifi card. I would be using an Ethernet connection to my modem. Is it the same process? Thanks for the info :)

Take care and I hope all is well.

Lyle

Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Actually, it is even easier with Ethernet. In my experience, Ubuntu detects and connects automatically :)

Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink
  12. Alexandra wrote:

Yes, please! We has one laptop w/ XP.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink